Sunday, April 6

U-Verse gripes

Out of nowhere on Thursday evening, the TV in my den stopped working. I called AT&T and performed a few test with a "tech support" representative. He determined that the receiver needed to be replaced. Since it's the DVR receiver that meant I would lose anything on it. Super.

Saturday the new receiver came and when I plugged it in, it didn't work either. Another call to AT&T and this "tech support" rep determined that it was my wall jack that didn't work. And by the way, they don't cover that. So if I chose to have an AT&T technician come, it could be a $99 fee depending on the outcome of the issue. OR for the low-low price of just $6/month for the next 12 months, I could add their line protection plan to my account and they would come for free. Ugh!

I signed up for the stupid plan and had a technician scheduled to come. I changed out the Ethernet cable to the receiver, tracked the cable back to the gateway and there didn't seem to be anything I could see wrong with it. Then I looked at the gateway. The light on the port to the den receiver wasn't on. Hmmm. I switched it to anther port and low and behold the dang thing worked.

So it appears that the port just went bad. So now I have a new reviewer, I lost my recordings, I have a new monthly fee and a technician coming.

Why the heck isn't checking the gateway part of their 180,00 steps they make you perform before they determine the receiver is bad?

I called back to cancel the technician and this new monthly plan for line protection and the new "tech support" rep said ok, done. Sweet! How easy was that!

Nope.

She called back to tell me that she couldn't cancel the new plan and I'd have to call the sales line during normal business hours. . . . . .


No comments: